Sunday, February 6, 2011

Where has all my potential gone?

Do you ever get the feeling that you've lost an important part of yourself? That happens to me every time I sit down at a key board or pick up a pen and paper. I used to be able to write like a fiend. The words would just flow from my brain to my fingers and people would be awed. Now, I get nothing.

The plan was to be the next great fantasy writer, and I can barely get out a decent blog entry. It's not drivel. It's readable. The spelling is good without having to use a spell checking program. The grammar is relatively easy to digest. It's just lacking a certain... wow factor. I don't think that I could walk into an English class and dance out with a 98% like I used to be able to do. That makes me sad. I've gone stagnant, kind of like that rain water that just ends up sitting in the ditch beside the highway. It was good water at one point, but as soon as it ended up at the side of the road, not so much.

My brain needs flexing. That's what it is. I just need to get on here, write my fingers raw and be the writer I know is in here. I need to be aware that some of it is going to be bad. There is a high probability that no one is going to read any of this, and that's okay. The important thing is to get the potential back to the surface. Potential doesn't dissipate, I don't think. You just forget you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment